Friday, December 7, 2012

Another Crazy Jesus Adventure

As you may or may not be aware, I have just returned from six months living in India where I volunteered for The Missionaries of Charity (Mother Teresa’s gals).  Through various situations in India, God has humbled me over and over again, reminding me that I am called to be His servant, a servant who simply obeys her Master, no matter how small or large the task may seem (See Luke 17:7-10 for some radical servant training by Jesus). Our God is glorified when we simply submit to His will, whether that means sitting in a basement filing information, orienting new volunteers for their assignments, or teaching intellectually challenged girls their Christmas play lines. My God wants my obedience.

Through a series of events and revelations in India, God has directed me to the next season of my life. I have applied, interviewed, and been accepted to Mission Year. Mission Year is a beautiful organization whose mission is the same as all of ours: Love God and Love People. They place young adults in Christian teams/communities in poor (low income) urban areas around the country and teach them how to love their neighbors through prayer, social justice, education, and simple community living.

You can check out their website here: www.missionyear.org
I will be heading out to Chicago in September of 2013 for their year long program. I will be volunteering about 30 hours a week with a community organization or school that helps low income families in the neighborhood in which I will be living. The rest of my time will be spent in prayer with my team, meeting and loving my immediate neighbors, and learning how to do social justice like Jesus through Mission Year’s Theology of Poverty classes.

After this program ends in 2014, I am anticipating coming back to Phoenix, getting my masters in Community Development online through Mission Year’s partner, Eastern University, and (simultaneously) buying a house in a low income area of Phoenix and living out the command to love God and love my neighbor, using the training I have received through Mission Year.

I know this is big. I know this will cost a lot of money and a lot of sacrifice. I know all of this is totally impossible without God. He is my provider, my sustainer, the “lifter of my head” when I begin to look down at myself or my situation, thinking anything is too big or small for our all powerful God (Ps 3:3).

Here’s the part where I ask for your partnership in this crazy Jesus endeavor.  I need prayer and finances, and I know God will supply both through His beautiful body of believers.

First, please pray to our Provider and see how He will have you partner with me in this. If He asks you to pray for this mission, please pray with all your heart. If He asks you to give financially, please be generous with the earthly treasures He has given you. If He asks you to give monthly, above and beyond your tithe, bless His name and thank you for your faithfulness.

Ways you can pray:
      - For God to prepare the team I will be living and learning with
      - For all $12,000 to be raised for my mission
      - For $2,000 to be raised by the end of December for a match by Mission Year
      - For continued guidance and direction in my life, to follow Jesus more closely

Ways you can give:
            ONLINE
  • You can give a tax-deductible donation online through Mission Year: www.missionyear.org
  • BONUS: Not only is your donation tax deductible since Mission Year is a non-profit organization, they are also matching all donations to my account dollar for dollar up to $2,000 until the end of December! They are also giving awesome gifts for different amounts of donations.
  • To donate online, visit the site above, click “Donate"
  • In the Donation Information section in the dropdown box find my name (Tarrin McDonald)
  • Click the “Add Donation” button
  • On the next page you will be able to designate whether this is a one time gift or a recurring gift you would like taken from your account automatically every month
CHECK
  •  You can also send a check made out to Mission Year, with my ID number (13-9010) in the memo line. Be sure you add that ID number (NOT my name)!
  •  You can send this check to: Mission Year P.O. Box 17628; Atlanta, GA 30316
Since taking the steps to be a part of Mission Year, I feel like I have jumped into a Grand Canyon of uncertainty, not knowing where my feet may land, not knowing how God will provide, but knowing, for certain, that I am leaping into the arms of an all powerful God who makes sure I lack no good thing (Read Psalm 34 for some beautiful pictures of God’s providence for those who seek His face).


If you were part of the Body who supported me through prayer or finances on my mission to India, thank you. If you are praying about supporting me in this mission to America, thank you. If you are serving and giving elsewhere and cannot contribute to this mission, thank you for the generosity you show to the ministries you support.

We are one body in Christ and we need one another. Thank you for your love and support.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in Chicago. Wonderful city. Keeping you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete