Saturday, January 12, 2013

2013 Has Too Many Syllables


Last night with some friends at Church, my friend challenged us to write down a list of spiritual goals we felt God had put on our hearts to accomplish this year. 

I am all about lists, making lists for everything. But I was hesitant. What if God changes the goals? What if it doesn't go according to plan? What if I fail at them? 

“Have goals, but be flexible to the Spirit,” said my friend.

When Paul and buddies tried to enter a region called Bithynia, the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them (Acts 16: 7).  Paul was on a mission to spread the Gospel, but he was flexible to the leading of the Holy Spirit. In that same way, I prayerfully wrote out a list of goals I feel the Lord leading me to accomplish.

Here it goes:

Goals to complete by the end of August when I will join Mission Year in Chicago
1.      Raise $12,000 for Mission Year
2.      Read a Bible study book for 5 hours a day, 5 days a week--supplement with leisure book (one that does not require checking sources) and stretching
3.      Read through each New Testament epistle with study tools in order to understand background, history, culture, context
4.      Meet with at least one girlfriend a week to share life and pray with

Goals to start now and continue
5.      Do everything without grumbling or complaining
6.      Use Facebook seldomly and only as a way to encourage others in love (ie- do not use it as my own personal soapbox...)

I am still praying about these goals and will change them if God leads me to it, but, otherwise, here they are!

If you would like to help out in this season God has me in, you can use the following links to either donate to my upcoming Mission Year apprenticeship or purchase a book from my Amazon wishlist in order to help my Biblical studies.

Mission Year account: choose my name from the dropdown list

Amazon Wishlist

No comments:

Post a Comment