Saturday, June 11, 2011

Introductions

I’m not sure when I’ll get used to sleeping under a net. I get a slight claustrophobic panic when that net falls around the bed, dipping in toward my head. I’m afraid I’ll kick the net off in my sleep and be eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Yesterday was my first full day in Kenya. The day began with eggs, chapatti with zesta (a tortilla with jam), and juice with my parents.

We then headed out to the property where the children’s home is going to be. I met Anastacia, a quiet spoken woman who did not look old enough to have her six children. Anastacia is the house mom for the children’s home when it is up and running.





As dad supervised the construction on the property, Mom and I walked around finding interesting stones to add to her mosaic collection.





We went to Two Stars restaurant for lunch where we had chicken and chips or stew and chapatti, and everyone got flies along with that. Mmm.



I also met Daniel, Anastacia’s son who give a thumbs up and a goofy grin every time his picture is taken. He laughs loud and purposefully at nearly everything I do.



His brother Isaac is much quieter, but will break into song and dance sporadically.

Brian, the next door neighbor, is just cute. He waddles after the other boys in his face beanie and Arizona State sweatshirt.






This is also the day I was introduced to a Kenyan latrine. This latrine is a closet in a field with a hole in a cement floor to do your business in.

I tried. Lord knows I tried. It’s just not that easy to aim as a girl… I’ll leave it at that.

Cows wandered around the property at will.



We then piled all the construction workers into the back of the truck and headed back to Tala. I shut my heavy eyelids to give them some rest. We came to a stop and I opened my eyes to find a uniformed officer with an automatic weapon questioning my dad about the pile of Kenyans we were carrying. He allowed us to go through the gates with a warning.

After dropping off the workers, we headed home. I laid down for a little nap before pizza and Harry Potter. My mom has gotten to be quite the cook, able to make her own dough and a delicious pizza! I struggled to keep my eyes open as the Potter clan chased after bad guys and horcruxes.

As soon as the movie was over, I said my goodnights and headed to bed. Patches thought my legs were her new nightly scratching post, so I kicked her out of the room and fell into a dead sleep.



This morning has been relaxing. After dad went to the property to haul water, mom made me breakfast and we sat on the porch playing Dutch Blitz. Soon, we will head to a birthday party for a friend’s daughter.

Oh, and when we sat on the porch I had a sweater on because it was so cool. I’m loving this weather!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Tarrin for describing the details - the details that I'm missing - the ppl - the places - the Kenya that I'm crazy about (& don't tell your parents, but I kinda played hooky w/that mosq net!). Hope you don't mind me living vicariously through you over the next 6 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tarrin, Thanks for the pictures. They were great. Don't worry about the latrine thing it will get better with pratice. Have a great time with your Mom and Dad and keep the pictures coming.
    Love,
    Papa and Grandma

    ReplyDelete